Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crossing the Finish Line

So, today was my last radiation treatment. Going in, my emotions were all over the place. Cancer has been front and center of my family's life since April 1st of last year. I was happy, sad, uncertain about what I'm going to do with myself now. Add the fact that the tamoxifen is now working and I'm hormonal... I was a complete mess by the time I pulled into the cancer center.

I took a few minutes to pull myself together and went in. Treatment was quick and easy, as usual. The nurses were so happy for me that I was finally done. I lost it a bit again when they hugged me, but I managed to hold it together, for the most part, until I got back out to the car. I called Aaron & Pop and cried into their voicemail. :-P

I've been doing well the rest of the day. I stopped by my gas station and was talking to the gal I usually get my coffee from about it being my last day. Everybody in the shop stopped what they were doing to congratulate me. It was unexpected and so sweet of them. Aaron took me and the kids out to dinner at Sagano to celebrate. I've been tired and the radiation burn hurts but it's a small price to pay in the scheme of things. I was told that it will take a couple of weeks to feel better and to rest for the next few days until I do.

I. AM. DONE!!!!! Woo HOO!!!

2 comments:

Kimberly Cooper said...

I am so proud of you Nikki! You are truly an amazing woman, I have always thought so :)

R said...

I'm so happy to hear this. You ARE amazing, you know? I know, what choice do you have but to go through it, but thank you for sharing your experience. I look forward to continuing to read about how you go on feeling healthier and back to "normal". You are in our thoughts and hearts!

(Marc & Rebecca Boyer)

Post a Comment