Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ready.....

Only two days to go until surgery! I gotta say, I'm excited! After 23 years of trying to get a reduction, it's finally getting done. Not quite the way I would have asked for but, hey, beggars can't be choosers!

I saw Dr. Gold a couple days after my last post for my pre-op appointment. I told her what had happened per my last post and she was so reassuring and confident that this is going to just be bump in the road for me. I know nothing is ever for certain, but it was very comforting nonetheless.

So, getting ready.... A lot of standard stuff. Be there at 8:30. No eating after midnight the night before. Shower with anti-bacterial soap the night before and the morning of surgery. Nothing to eat or drink, including water. Don't pee because they want to do a urine test when I get there. (Though how I'm supposed to hold it while listening to the water in the shower is escaping me at the moment!) No deodorant, powder, perfume, or lotion.

There's another test that I have to have. The name of it escapes me right now, but I have to have two injections put directly into each breast, one of them mildly radioactive and the other is a dye. It helps them locate exactly where the cancer is located in the breast tissue. Dr. Gold prescribed some numbing ointment that I have to put on an hour before the test and wrap with a clear bandage or Saran. When the registering nurse from the hospital called to get all our ducks in a row, I told her that I had to have time to put on the cream when I checked in per Dr. Gold. Her reaction was, "You have one fantastic doctor! Do you know that she is the only one who gives her patients something to numb the area for that test?" I'm feeling quadruply blessed right about now!

Saturday, was simply fantastic! Aaron, the kids, & I got to be lazy bums all morning. In the evening, I went out to dinner with my Karate Crew sisters at Don Pablos. (Thank you Shari, Jen, Missy, DeNai, Naomi, Barb, Robin, & Liza! You gals are so awesome!!!) They make some mighty tasty margaritas there!
 

Afterwards, my friends Grace & Jen threw a "Ta ta to the Ta-tas" party especially for me. I don't even know how many gals made it. It was a lot! I have been trying for years to bring my various friend groups together, knowing that given the chance they would get along really well! (I just don't have any sucky friends. I learned a long time ago to not keep them around.) Like the reduction, it stinks that it took cancer to get them all in the same room but I think progress may have been made. :-D

Toward the end of the party, we gathered everybody to one room where I had a chance to talk to everybody about cancer and my experience so far. I offered the opportunity, for anyone who felt comfortable enough, to see my chest, compare the cancerous side to the normal side, and to feel what the tumor felt like under my skin. I figured it was a great chance for the others to experience it before it ever got to their bodies so that they would know what to look for. Surprisingly, I think everybody took me up on my offer! They made me so proud! :-D

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store and bought the place out. Not really, but I've got folks coming to stay with us so I made sure to buy more food than usual to feed everybody.

We also had our family pictures taken. I'm just not one of those moms that has to have a professional photo taken of their kids at every milestone of our lives. (Omg! He had his first poop! Let's go to Olan Mills! :-P) But we realized that we hadn't had one taken since I was pregnant with Shawni! Thank you so much to our friend, Dee Dee, for taking time out of her busy schedule to do this for us. They turned out absolutely beautiful!!!!!



Today has been a get the house ready, laundry done, shower tiled kind of day. We are so close on our shower! We've been working on it since Yule/Christmas and it's almost there. We have to get it done so that I don't have to try to go upstairs to get a shower. If I fell and tried to catch myself coming down the stairs.... Well, you can imagine that the results wouldn't be pretty. So wrapping that up is the goal for tomorrow...

0 comments:

Post a Comment